Frequently Asked Questions
A note for Windows XP users
- Change your operating system.
- If that is not possible:
- The installer should work on XP, but extraction of data might not, so extract the data on some other machine and copy it into the installation folder
- Manually download and install the Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable from Microsoft
- Change the shortcut to launch stratagus.exe rather than wargus.exe in the installation folder directly if your game complains that it cannot find Stratagus.
We only provide deb packages (for deb based distributions such as Debian and
Ubuntu). In order to install on a rpm based distrubution such as Fedora you
may try to use the deb to rpm converter named 'alien', probably already
available in your system. We would like to hear from you how successful you
were with installing via alien. If you are willing to take care of rpm
packaging of Wargus you are very welcome!
Another way of installing Wargus for just any supported operating system is
compiling it youself. See How to build Wargus from sources
How to build Wargus/War1gus from sources
- Stratagus. Get source from the same release of
release of Wargus /
- ffmpeg2theora (for converting extracted audio CD tracks and video files)
- cdparanoia (for ripping audio CD tracks)
- cdda2wav (for ripping audio CD tracks (Windows only))
- One of the Warcraft II CDs or harddisk location:
- Warcraft II DOS CD
- Warcraft II Expansion CD
- The Battle.Net CD is only partially supported, with some variants working but not others. We are working to become fully compatible!
Compilation and installation
For straight source builds on supported systems, you can always study .travis.yml or (for Windows) appveyor.yml, which are used by the automatic build system to build each commit.
On Windows you can replace steps 4-6 by generating Windows NSIS Installer which create classic Windows setup executable. Enable by cmake param -DENABLE_NSIS
- On Debian, Ubuntu, and other Debian-like systems use deb packages:
- create deb package:
dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot
- install deb package:
sudo dpkg -i ../wargus__.deb
- On other systems:
- first download, build, and install Stratagus (with game headers)
- generate Makefile in build dir with cmake:
rm -rf build && mkdir build && cd build && cmake ..
- build tools and programs:
cd build && make
- install wargus to system
cd build && sudo make install
- Launch the game: